VonBlogBath

Gaming & stuff...

Monday 6 August 2012

What a difference a base makes...

Oh yes, I went there.
Today's post is about basing: it's incredible the difference it makes to how "finished" the model looks.

There's far more variety available, nay expected, these days. Back when I worked for GW, it was either green flock with goblin green on the side, or sand, painted goblin green, drybrushed sunburst yellow, with goblin green round the side. Nowadays though...

There's a bewildering array of choices: I opted in the end for grey "on top", drybrushed to white, with clumps of brown bracken to break it up, and brown on the side.

My Waaagh, so far.

I like the rocky scree effect. I tried painting the sides grey, but it looked too much like concrete. Then I tried green, but it was too bright. Brown looked good though. :)

You may also notice that in the forefront there are some new models: my first 5 goblin archers (there's another 5 half-done already). The little blighters are pretty fast to paint, and I'll talk more about them next time. (I'll also try to get some better photos: the flash is playing silly buggers just now for some reason).

1 comment:

  1. Your bases look much better than mine, I reckon. I wish I'd gone brown with grass patches like I showed Andrew Bell, but you live an learn. Perhaps do something different for the next army.

    Yes, I went there.

    ReplyDelete