VonBlogBath

Gaming & stuff...

Wednesday 15 August 2012

That'll do, pig. That'll do.

Oink!

Unit of Boar Boyz...done.

Iron 'Eadz - Orc Boar Boy Cavalry

Still suffering from excessively bright flash (only sometimes, though - most frustrating), but then I am just using my phone camera because I'm lazy. Nonetheless - here are my Orc Boar Boyz, the Iron 'Eadz. I'm quite pleased with them - again, if I look too closely, I see poorly highlighted musculature etc. But together, they look quite effective. 

Here's a side view, similarly overexposed, of the standard bearer. The use of an iron head as an icon is a lucky coincidence! (and born out of me not wanting to freehand a design on a banner)

Orc Boar Boy Standard Bearer
So, lets look at the points total:

Previous Total: 325 points

Boar Boyz: 135 points
5 x Boar Boyz: (80)
Shields (10)
Spears (10)
Boss, Musician & Standard (35)

TOTAL: 460


Waaagh - 500 points
Which means, add in a magic item or two, or turn one of the Orc units to Big 'Uns, and I'm playing a 500 point game, hopefully Sunday afternoon, with the Lawhammers.

Now, while I'm very pleased with the progress I've made (I've been pushing myself during the school holidays, as from next week I'll have a lot less free time) the army is a little bit...brown. It's most notable in the Boar Boyz: brown boars, brown leather, rusty metal...

It's no bad thing - the limited palette will make them look cohesive, and I always prefer naturalistic to day-glo, cartoony, but it is still a bit dull. The splashes of red do really stand out though. So I'm going to do my Spider Riders next, and I think I'll do the spiders themselves a very dark red colour. That ought to brighten everything up, but maintain the Waaaghsthetics. ;)

7 comments:

  1. OMG! You have so many painted! I really need to catch up! Now the holidays have come to an end, I'll have a bit more free time on my hands, so maybe I'll manage it. For all your 'too brown' comments, I think they're looking pretty fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers dude. :D

      I am pleased with them, just want my next unit to be a little more colourful! I suppose your painting opportunities are the inverse of mine, eh? :D

      Delete
    2. Also, you are only 100 points behind me!

      Delete
  2. I can make that up in tomorrow's post, assuming I get painting! :D

    Also, having to type in those silly codes for every comment is damned annoying. You should turn them off here. Or, at least, so I think. Because I'm lazy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'oh! Thought I had taken them off! Should be gone now. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow. Flashy!

    I like the 500 points picture in particular; it looks like the beginnings of a nice little army! I agree about the red. What red are you using as your base for that?

    I'm using Evil Sunz (sp?) Scarlet, Andrew is using Mephiston Red. I found Mephiston a bit pink for all the orangey highlighting I was doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using Screamer Pink over black, then Evil Sunz Scarlet and a touch of Squig Orange to finish off. :)

      I think, with the red spiders, and red shields on my Orc Boyz unit ( when I get to them) the army should look pretty good. :)

      Delete