VonBlogBath

Gaming & stuff...

Monday 13 August 2012

Iron 'Eadz

Well, a swifter update than I had imagined, as I've painted the first of my Boar Boyz. Behold!

Iron 'Ead: Boar Boy Boss
 The boars I've painted quickly: wetbrush brown over black, brown wash, then drybrush brown, sand, bone, then white. A little painted on wash over any patches that are too heavily drybrushed.

Then it's detail time: pick out flesh in green, green wash, highlight dark green, then light green (NB: I'm hand highlighting, not drybrushing, as there's not much flesh on show). Then paint metal leadbelcher, leather bits brown. Brown wash over those, then drybrush metal, then paint highlight leather and wood up to sand.

Ta da!

I'm quite pleased with the effect.

As I mentioned last time, I'm envisaging this as something of a rag-tag army of scavengers and remnants. Rather than some great Waaagh massing in the Bad Lands, this is a reconstituted Waaagh reassembling from the detritus of previous conflicts. Hence, Savage Orcs relying on a Goblin Shaman.

I always wanted my Boar Boyz to have shields and spears for that extra cavalry oomph. When I was assembling them, I elected to use all the helmeted heads (much as I avoided them for the Gobbos). It struck me that this made them look like Orc-knights, which amused me, so I tried to get them posed like that too.

And thus, the Iron 'Eadz were born.

Officer: Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes!
Soldier: Their eyes are red, sir!
I see this unit of Boar Boyz as consciously aping the heavy knights of the Empire, the Elves, and Bretonnia. I ensured my musician has a spear on his back, and when I increase the size of the unit, I'm going to stick with the metal, helmets, shields, spears look. They look pretty ferocious. And I thought, for the Boss, having him with the most enclosing helmet, and giving his boar the same look, was a must.

So one down, the other 4 boars are drybrushed up, and just need the fiddly bits done. Goal is to get them done by the end of next weekend, at which point I'll be pushing 500 points painted.

1 comment:

  1. Fricken' awesome! A unit of those will be mega spiffy!

    ReplyDelete