VonBlogBath

Gaming & stuff...

Thursday 23 May 2013

Charge!

As I mentioned recently, I've succumbed, finally, to starting a Bretonnian army, and I am very pleased to present my first painted miniature.

Ta da!

Sir Andre De Lisque
This is simply a Knight of the Realm plastic model, with the champion's sword, a Knight Errant head, and the horse converted slightly to make it rear up a little (not too much, as at too steep an angle the barding looks weird).

The intent is for this to be my general, representing...well, me! Hence the beard, and the Leask coat of arms.

Now, I imagined getting some heraldic symbols like stars and diamonds would be easy, allowing me to make my own coat of arms up, but surprisingly not. Even the usually reliable Veni Vidi Vici didn't have anything quite right.

I was close to despairing, when a bit of Google Fu turned up CitadelSix custom designs. I knew it was possible to print your own custom transfers, but it's a faff, requiring special paper, spray on sealant, and I'd also need to get new ink...hassle.

But CitadelSix essentially do that for you. You can order premade designs or, for no extra cost you can email a design and they'll print that for you. Handy. A few emails exchanged, and lo and behold: transfers!

Side view: no way I could hand paint that so regularly!
Now, they're not the cheapest things ever, but I don't intend on outfitting an entire army with custom designs. I've ordered designs for two knights (the second one will appear here in due course), plus the Leask coat of arms for my Men at Arms (one of which I will be painting next); that all came to £14 plus postage. Very reasonable.

The transfers themselves are a little less malleable than what I'm used to, but for flat areas - shields, etc. - they work a treat. The set even has tiny little ones for all the little shields on the horse's harness, but I found them a bit fiddly, so only put one on the front of the horse's head, painting the others a blank white. I may go back and add more in later, but I wouldn't hold your breath. :)

Rear view - the red scabbard really stands out, huh? I may change that later.
Overall, I'm happy with the model, and very happy with CitadelSix's transfers. If you're after some custom detail, especially if it's fiddly / precise, I'd definitely recommend them.

Until the next time!
VBB

No comments:

Post a Comment